[3830] CQWW SSB KQ2M SOABClassic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kq2m@kq2m.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KQ2M SOABClassic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 02:04:19 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOABClassic HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 16.8

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   82    10       35
   40:   94    13       36
   20:  905    29       89
   15: 1423    22      102
   10:   68     9       21
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I’ve been very ill and had not planned to operate, but I wanted to get on and
help the club. I was able to get the 80 M 4-square mostly rebuilt and up on
Friday but no 160 antenna.  I was going to focus on simple in-shack “fixes”
where possible but then when my heart felt more stable, I got on and operated a
bit with one radio - with my operating times determined by health, not whether
the bands were open.

It is remarkable how few sunspots it takes to open up 15!  Amazing level of
activity with incredible rates at times:  6 hours > 200 with 2 hours >
250, and BOTH 250+ hours were on SUNDAY, with the best 60 minutes of 263!  Even
got the last 10 min rate meter up to 400.8 and last 100 up to 277.6!  WOW!

It wouldn’t be a CQWW SSB at my qth without a violent storm.  In 2009 we had
a violent T-storm with 85 mph winds which caused a power failure.  In 2011 it
was the CQWW BLIZZARD (20” of snow and lost power for 9 days).  In 2012 it
was Hurricane Sandy with major infrastructure devastation here in Newtown, CT
(and lost power for 10 days!), and in 2017, a “monsoon” with 80+ mph winds.
 Other  memorable CQWW SSB contests were in 1981 and 1993 with incredible
coastal storms with squall lines and T-storms with 100+ mph wind gusts.

Very happy to hear Pedro, NP4A and NP2N and a few other Caribbean stations from
the hard hit islands.  With all the typical Caribbean activity in this contest,
it was a chilling reminder to see how many countries were “quiet” this
weekend.  My best wishes to all that were affected and hopes that you are safe
and healthy and will rebuild when you can.

I had planned a more detailed writeup with specific mentions of some of the
more exotic callers and interesting propagation paths, but between health
issues, professional work and fixing antennas there just wasn't not enough
time.

As always, it was great to see so many old friends and to make new ones. Tnx
for the q’s and mults!  CU in CQWWCW I hope.

73

Bob KQ2M

kq2m@kq2m.com
rshohet@rlsfinancialgroup.com