[3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 01:17:47 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  265
   40:  562
   20:  441
   15:   28
   10:
------------

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Our 2017 Hesston College ARC Sweepstakes team was one of the best in our history
and included six students from aviation, computer science, nursing and disaster
management. Gracie, Grace, Ryan, DJ, Amos and Tyson (all unlicensed), spent a
good part of their weekend enjoying working all of you and chasing the Sweep.

Before Sweeps, we got in two months of practice including evening sessions in
the computer lab and operating the California QSO Party. The practice paid off.
We alternated between team logging and Ryan, Gracie and Tyson, who were able to
"solo" the station. Our rates always seemed to pick up when Gracie
and Grace took the mic, so we gave them as much air time as possible.

Because of the hurricane and my experience missing both VI and PR in the CW
Sweeps, it was a true pleasure to find a VI station calling CQ on 15m a few
minutes into the contest. He came right back and gave us 1A VI which we happily
logged. Maybe there was hope for the Sweep! I'll bet he went on to be really
popular.

We broke for the night missing NL, ONN, AK and ND. We found NL and ONN on
Sunday morning early. There was a big pileup working one NL on 20m, but no
takers to a 15m NL until we jumped in. While doing a bit of search and pounce,
we heard AK call a station, so we headed up band a bit and started calling CQ.
Sure enough, a few minutes later, we had AK.

ND remained elusive. Talking to others, they hadn't heard one either. The slow
last few hours were rapidly approaching, so when KD0CVZ gave us a call it was
high-5s all around. Each of the students got on and thanked him personally for
the Sweep, which will keep our K0HC SSB Sweepstakes mug collection unbroken
since 2004.

Our "Sunday Sweep" attempt came up four short - GTA, NT, PR and VI
(none heard). It was especially fun to chat with the other School stations (in
order worked): W4AQL K5LSU W8EDU W1YK W6RFU W4UAL W9GRS W0EEE W5AHS WD5AGO W1YU
W6LMU K9IU. We only worked 5 dupes this year.

The students really appreciated those of you who took time to chat with them.
At least two of our students are already studying for their license. We want to
thank all of you for being out there for us to work, and we hope to hear you
again in 2018! Our log has been uploaded to LOTW.

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC