[3830] CQWW CW K0MD SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, drscott.wright@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0MD SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 00:17:36 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0MD
Operator(s): K0MD
Station: K0MD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Mn
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

  160:   36     8       14
   80:   52    13       37
   40:  249    28       88
   20:  440    31       97
   15:  163    23       67
   10:   28    11       13
------------------------------
Total:  968   114      316  Total Score = 1,105,530

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Equipment: Icom 7851/7800
Amps: Acom 2000a, SPE Expert 1.3
Antennas: Force 12 Yagis

Goals:
1 million points - made it
1000 qso's: 96.8 % of that one - I can live with it.

Comments:  The first half of the contest was tough sledding. Band conditions
were weak - challenging to work Europe despite my stacks. Sunday- things were
different. Someone turned on the bands - thank you!

First major contest doing SO2r. Big help. I made 826 qso's on the 7851 and 142
on the 7800. The SO2R practice has helped. Several tough moments in the
contest. Saturday, one of the Amps failed and has to go back to the shop in
Texas for a repair. Suspect a power MOSFET failure but will await repairs. Day
2 my stack box developed an infinite SWR so I had to bypass all stacking and
run the different yagis through my 8-Pak antenna switch. In some respects, it
was nice to have the gain of the C49xr for the second rig. I might try this for
the next contest and not stack. I was re-arranging coax connections at 630 AM
local time Sunday morning - all while 20 was running with EU!

I appreciated all the QSO's including the tough 28 on 10 meters. I worked PJ2T
on six bands but missed VP5M on 10 meters. I do not look forward to the actual
cellar of the sunspot cycle - it is bad enough now with weak propagation and
solar eruptions that weaken US EU and US Asia paths.

I am very happy with the 7851. Compared to the 7800, it is a lot quieter and
the 1.3 KHz roofing filter makes a huge difference. Adjusted it to 50% and that
allowed all weak signals in the passband to come through. Icom got it right with
the 7851!

Thanks for the QSO's.