[3830] CQWW CW N9NB SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N9NB SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 03:29:10 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: va
Operating Time (hrs): 22:50
Radios: SO2R

  160:   30    11        8
   80:   91    15       54
   40:  355    28       96
   20:  306    31      100
   15:  144    23       69
   10:   15     6        8
------------------------------
Total:  941   114      345  Total Score = 1,154,844

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Been looking forward to this contest for quite some time, as it was my first
opportunity to try SO2R in my own shack. The BPF's arrived to allow me to use
SO2R at 5pm the eve. of the contest, and I flew cross country to arrive in time
for the contest to start---- well, that was the plan. A 3 hour plane delay
caused me to miss the first day, and the installation of the filers and shack
set up took all of Friday night  -- and I was beat from traveling the whole
day.

With some good sleep, I began the contest late Saturday morning, and had a
blast. I fat fingered a few things with the SO2R, but I was happy with how well
I did. One problem -- I couldn't figure out how to get sidetone into the
headphones, so I used the paddles with no sidetone the entire contest! I would
look at the S meter on the transmitting rig to figure out what I was sending.
What a hoot--Im sure I QLFed some sending,but all in all I was happy with the
first time trying SO2R.  I found the new fixed tribanders (lo on the tower)
created a lot of QRM on to the top tribanders, even with the BPFs installed on
the top yagi coaxes, but no RX front ends were blown up, so that's a good
thing. I have to go back to the drawing board to figure out a better SO2R
configuration. I did this last-minute style, and despite the lack of careful
engineering, was pretty happy with the result for less than 24 hours. I worked
some amazing DX, and enjoyed picking off multipliers with the 2nd radio -- a
new thrill using assisted, a mode I have seldom used. It was a great time.

73 and thanks to CQ and to everyone for all the Qs. 73, ted n9nb

p.s. I always enjoy hearing W3LPL and K3LR get together on 3830 after the
contest, where they trade scores. Its neck and neck again! A virtual tie -- and
I enmoyed hearing Frank say that he has been doing the CQWW for 46 years and
never missing a contest (or something like that). Really is a fun contest!
Reminds me of the years when I was in college and operating at W9ZRX(now W9PA)
with the N9MM callsign. Was a great time and fun group. Its great the tradition
continues throughout the world.