[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 04:42:28 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19.6

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    5     4        3
   40:   38    11       16
   20:  122    19       44
   15:   77    17       32
   10:    8     5        5
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
I guess we've come to expect bad conditions, so they don't seem so bad any
more.

Our family had Thanksgiving at my son's home in Los Angeles, so we returned
back home on Saturday, just like last year.  We arrived home at 2:00 PM (22:00
Z) and after unloading the car, I made my first contest QSO at 2:45 (22:45 Z).
I had everything set up before I left, all I had to do was turn on the radio and
the computer and go to work.

Conditions were decent. The best thing that happened was a great opening to
Europe on 20 Meters between 15:00 and 16:00 Z. That is when I worked almost all
my 21 European QSOs.

I would say my best Q was BG3UPA on 20 M. I heard an amazing number of Chinese
stations in this contest, more than ever before.  But only one could copy my
QRP signal. In stark contrast, I can work probably 85-90% of the JA stations I
hear. It is hard for me to understand the difference.

68% of my Qs were off continent. I would like to figure some way to get the 160
double mult!  I went to 160 many times hoping to work a local, but no luck!

I was glad to hear some KP4 stations back on. I only heard one weak one during
the SSB weekend.

Some odd stats: all 15 African Qs were in zone 33.  61 of my 250 Qs were with
JA.  My DXCC was 55, down from 59 last year.  My WAZ was 22 down from 26 last
year.

At 77 yrs old, it is still exciting to do this stuff. I couldn't wait to get to
the shack!

73, See you in the 10 Meter contest!   Bill  W6QU - W8QZA