[3830] CQWW CW GW4J(GW0ETF) SOSB(A)/20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GW4J(GW0ETF) SOSB(A)/20 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 09:27:39 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GW4J
Operator(s): GW0ETF
Station: GW4J

Class: SOSB(A)/20 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  444    17       73
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Life’s been getting too easy lately so I thought I’d try some qrp on 20m
with some simple wire antennas to toughen me up; 5 watts is definitely a
challenge in this contest!

Very slow start on Saturday but it picked up after local midday as good
propagation to North America built up. Very little dx heard although Eu
stations were running JA with ease early on. Sunday was quite frustrating with
some nice dx in evidence but not workable through the pile ups despite some
wishful attempts. The good NA conditions of Saturday never materialised and the
quick’n easy pickings of transatlantic 3 pointers and occasional short runs
weren’t repeated. The band stayed open on Sunday evening until late although
by 2100 my 5w just wasn’t filling the log any more and I pulled the plug; I
could only gaze longingly at the dormant Acom 1000 across the bench as Lloyd
KH6LC emerged briefly from the noise to hand out Z31 to a select few which
didn’t include me.

Skip was long all weekend (at least for 5w from GW...;-) and I had great
trouble working any near EU countries. Never worked EI or any UK areas except
for GW and G and only managed PA and France near the end despite much activity
from there - even DL was often difficult. Never got ON, OZ or LX in the log
despite good signals being received all weekend, just not hearing me. Called
GMs on strong backscatter but no response either, felt a bit like vhf at times
(why can’t they beam south?!)

20m qrp (assisted - felt I needed at least one prop..;-)

K3 5w SO2V, 'part time' for 25 hours - dipole at 30ft, 1/4wave elevated
vertical plus a wire vertical Moxon pointing west

73 and thanks for the fun,

Stewart, GW0ETF/GW4J