[3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n7wa@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:36:23 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  736    27       84
   20:    0     0        0
   15:    0     0        0
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

It was my best SB/40 effort  (but not by much, I did 213,248 in 2015). Still, I
was disappointed but more because I wasn't prepared for this test. I did not
get my proper sleep Friday and certainly not Saturday. It just left me groggy
and frequently "Sleep CQing". I had to take several breaks Saturday
night to get some sleep. Maybe age has a bit to do with it too :>)

Conditions seemed better than last year to Europe. Europe seemed to show up as
workable around 2200 each day but I never seem to get past the tier 1 stations.
(Maybe you don't get past tier 1 on 40M from the PacNW?) Long Path into Europe
in the morning seemed ok Saturday morning but I ended up sleeping through it
Sunday morning. Never heard any Middle East short or long path. Nothing heard
from
continental Africa except for Ghana with 15 minutes to go in the test.

Lots of Caribbean on. Continental South America is disappointing and that seems
par for the course.

The conditions to the west seemed OK Friday night but Saturday night conditions
didn't seem as good. I was getting a lot of static crashes (sounded like
lightning in the distance) and I did have a Saturday night (Sunday morning)
period where the whole noise floor gradually came up about 10db (It's pretty
evident on the waterfall) before finally going back down to normal after 30
minutes. I know a weather system was incoming so maybe it was related.

cheers
dink, n7wa