[3830] CQWW CW OH6QU SOSB(A)/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OH6QU SOSB(A)/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 18:48:37 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OH6QU
Operator(s): OH6QU
Station: OH6QU

Class: SOSB(A)/15 HP
QTH: Maalahti OHC653
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  776    37      137
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Well, I knew SOSB 15M (A) won’t be easy at this stage of sunspot cycle from
the high latitudes (63N). And sure a minor magnetic disturbance just couple of
hours before the contest didn’t help it either. Thanks to these factors the
propagation across a polar area towards USA/Canada, Pacific and Japan was more
or less blocked on 15M for the first 30 hours of the contest. After the first
24 hours of contest I had only 8 JAs and 10 W/VEs stations in my log. Saturday
was mainly S&P as CQing didn’t produce much QSOs. Luckily the propagation
got better Sunday morning and finally I was able to run EU stations several
hours. There were a short opening towards North America on Sunday afternoon but
signal strengths were rather poor. The East Coast big guns were only S5-6 at
their best.

I was hoping to have a good night time openings via the polar path to North
America, Pacific and Japan but it wasn’t producing much QSOs this year. Just
after the contest started at 02 AM local time in Friday night I got JA7NVF
& JH8SLS and RA0FF (Zone 19). Saturday night VE7VR & WJ9B (both Zone 3)
and W0SD (Zone 4) went into the log around midnight. Just few hours before the
contest ended in Sunday night A31MM started to draw a faint signal line on the
panadapter. Finally I managed to log him around half past midnight local time
as a last QSO in the contest. Around the same time I also heard NH6JC but he
was too busy with W/VE pileup. Most probably I also heard 5W1SA at the same
time but he was audible only a very short time and too weak to copy properly.
During the Sunday evening and night I heard dozens of other W/VE stations but
they were mainly doing S&P, or not able to copy me. Several stations I
called e.g. K0RF, W7RM and NK8Q started to rotate their antennas to completely
wrong direction most probably because they didn’t believe the caller was from
EU.

Missing Zones: 1, 6 and 40.

The contest setup was FTdx5000 + OM2500A / 1.5 kW and 3 x Hy-Gain TH7DX.

CU in next year!
Jari OH6QU & OG6A
https://www.qrz.com/db/OH6QU/