[3830] ARRL 160 KA1J Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KA1J Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 20:35:25 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KA1J
Operator(s): KA1J
Station: KA1J

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 535  Sections = 69  Countries = 9  Total Score = 75,072

Club:

Comments:

Did this one in honor of my friend Pat W5WMU (SK). It just hasn't been the same
contesting since he's no longer with us and I just haven't had the spirit to
try to fully participate till now.

Conditions weren't as good as I would have liked, I heard plenty of DX but with
5W, I didn't get through this time. There were several that had my call correct
but couldn't understand they had it and gave up & went back to CQ, same
with a whole lot of sections I didn't work, exact same thing. It's the bane of
QRP with lousy antennas.

Had one ass from two states North of me who came on frequency Sunday morning
just as the band opened at sunrise. I had been running the frequency for half
an hour and he picked right on top of me to run his CQ. One can argue I was QRP
and he couldn't hear me except... he told me to QSY after zero-beating me. Pigs
come in many forms.

Used the HI-Z Circle 8 & a HI-Z Triangular in conjunction with a DXE NCC-2
phase controller as input for Diversity in the K3s, Definitely helped on some
of the local RFI and allowed me to work with both to null and to direct. It'll
be easier once I understand how to best work it.

Always love a good contest and Pat, old friend, this one's for you.

73,
Gary
KA1J