[3830] ARRL 10 AA4LR SO Mixed Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AA4LR SO Mixed Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 00:29:12 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   CW:  22     10
  SSB:  14      3
-------------------
Total:  36     13  Total Score = 1,508

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m high (10m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 running 50 watts
AL-80A Amplifier running 300-500 watts

Comments:

In all my life, I have never heard conditions this bad on 10m. It was like a
VHF contest weekend. A VHF contest weekend where the band never opened.

I didn't have a lot of time to operate this contest. Got on for a little more
than the first hour, but the band had nearly close, so I didn't work much
beyond a few local GA stations, a NV, KS and a couple of TX.

Got on the next morning just before 1400z, but the band wasn't really open.
Another TX, CT, MD and some GA stations. Was busy until the afternoon around
2030z. A few local GA and TN stations. Then, out of the blue, ZL2AZ answered my
CQ. He was the loudest station I heard all weekend. Half way around the world,
and he was louder than the fluttery local backscatter signals I worked.

Busy Sunday morning, so got on around 1845z, but nothing was happening. The
band just would not open. Every once in a while, I'd hear a temporary
enhancement that would last for a few seconds -- like a meteor trail. Worked
TX, ME on one of these bursts. The rest were AL, TN and local GA stations.

I never remember a 10m contest where the band didn't open to south america.
Never heard a peep.

Awful. Just awful.

And we have a couple more years of this before the sunspots start to come back.
Sheesh.