[3830] ARRL 10 W3EP SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ep@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W3EP SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:29:43 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W3EP
Operator(s): W3EP
Station: W3EP

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  335    43
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  335    43  Total Score = 57,620

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The contest started out auspiciously enough: logged 49 QSOs, but none out of the
Northeast. It was downhill from there, with a just a few surprises:

The openings to South America and the Caribbean early Saturday and Sunday
afternoons netted 7 multipliers, but I had the uneasy feeling I missed
something, especially as I had to be gone three hours on Saturday.

Had easy QSOs with V51YJ and ZM4T, also quite unexpected surprises.

During the last hour of the contest ran off 21 QSOs, 15 in Minnesota and 1 in
North Dakota for my last multiplier. This run seemed to be all sporadic-E,
though signals ranged from just out of the noise to honest S-9s.

In between, it was mostly a struggle to make contacts via scatter. I am sure I
missed some QSOs due to marginal conditions, but my thanks to those stations
that stuck with it. There may have been short-lived Es mixed in, but there did
not seem to be any sustained openings, save perhaps for that last remarkable
hour. With the exception of that one QSO with ND, I did not hear any stations
west of the Mississippi.

Still, there seemed to be some CW activity most of the time, but most often
stations I had already worked. They were plugging away and keeping the band
from folding altogether. Kudos to you fellows!

Along the way, I gave up on SSB and entering as HP Mixed. There seemed to be
little SSB activity, perhaps because even the marginal conditions evident on CW
were not good enough for SSB activity. This was clearly (at least from the
Northeast) a CW event.

Still an interesting 10-Meter contest, even if among the slowest in many years.