[3830] TBDC VE9AA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VE9AA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:56:47 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 00:12

Total:  QSOs = 10  Total Score = 30

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

A sad sad story.  One of my favorite contests and yet I had no (working) 160m
antenna.
A Cpl weeks or so ago one of my 2 Inverted L's in my 2-el 160m array bit the
dust, so I hauled broken wires out of the and hooked up a single L and bypassed
the switching network.

Then, on day 2 (a couple weeks ago), the remaining L went open. GRRR
I frigged with it and *THOUGHT* I had fixed a loose connection at a switchbox as
it worked perfectly many times until (of course) Murphy visited.

Finished up the RAC CWC and had supper, watched TV with family, and then at
o-dark-thirty began the Stew.  Hmmmm, everyone is S1 (or less).....how can that
be?  Go to call one guy who is 519 and SWR is a bazillion to one.  WTFrig?

So, I am stumped.  It's dark as the inside of a cow here, a foot or so of crusty
snow on the ground, the outside temp is probably close to -20*C, the windo is
blowing  and I have no motivation to go mess with frozen connections.

I put the tuner in line, shut OFF the amp and tune up my 80m 4-Sq array.

Many signals are now 529-559, but none of those guys hear me.  I decide to NOT
CQ (or I'll likely roast something like a relay or my dump resistor on the 80m
array), so I S&P'd the loudest 10 stations on the band, bid the contest
farewell and that was that.

Sad but true !

Sigh...

HNY all !