[3830] RTTY Roundup W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 05:00:49 +0000
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  365
   40:  545
   20:  654
   15:  186
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1750  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 66  Total Score = 218,750

Club:

Comments:

This contest is really a lot of fun! This appears to predominantly be a North
American contest but the format of working anyone anywhere really keeps it
flowing. Even with the low solar flux index there was always someone to work. I
was not completely set up until minutes before the contest. So, I had no
pre-contest warm up and check to see if everything was working yet I still
managed to work 130 QSO in first hour running on 15m and 20m. Of course the
rates dropped after the initial serge however I had nine other hours where I
made 80 or more QSOs. I kept two transceivers quite busy for most of the
weekend. On Saturday morning I had a very solid opening on 20m into Europe which
lasted over four hours. This was one of the few times that I used only one
transceiver, although I did use its two receivers (SO2V). I tried to make every
EU contact and country multiplier that I could before the band closed. This
worked quite well. Europe represented 34% of my total 20m contacts. 40m at times
also had pretty good openings into Europe but on 15m I heard nothing from there.
This weekend we had the coldest days that I have ever seen in North Carolina but
fortunately the rotators and antennas worked perfectly. The station only issue
occurred on Sunday, the power went out very briefly about six different times
over a six hour period. This became quite annoying, especially since the
Elecraft K3S’s do not like being shut down this way and they lose their recent
settings. It sometimes occurred while transmitting which cannot be good for the
radios or multiple antenna relays. I kept thinking that the power would remain
off and I envisioned using my final time off dropping an extension cord out the
window and starting up my small Honda generator but luckily that never occurred.
My generator should be able to power the radio equipment OK however the house
and shack would have gotten cold very quickly. Thank you for the QSOs. Please
QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A
http://www.w4aaa.com