[3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@tx.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 15:37:50 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   43    22
   80:  103    39
   40:  210    46
   20:  348    42
   15:   39    18
   10:
-------------------
Total:  743   167  Total Score = 124,081

Club: DFW Contest Group

Team: DFWCG MARBLE

Comments:

This running of NAQP went pretty well for me. Conditions weren't the best, but
there were plenty of QSOs to be had. As usual for my station 20 was the money
band, and this time it didn't seem to fold up as early. 40 was a solid producer
as well and it also hung in there longer.

The multiplier count was MUCH better this time. This was because I made much
more effective use of the second radio in the first half of the contest. Some
adjustments to the audio switching setup made keeping things straight in my head
easier. The second radio accounted for approximately 20% of the QSOs in the
first 4 or 5 hours while I was running on 20. I think I'm finally learning how
to do SO2R better. There are still some problems with something in my local
environment that's causing generation of harmonics and noise that get into the
other radios. This stuff is apparently being re-radiated, as I know my filtering
and shielding is good enough to suppress any garbage generated by the
transmitters themselves, especially at the 100W level.

As usual, diversity reception is your friend on 40 meters and lower. As things
are presently configrued here I can only use the Pixel loop as a diversity
receive antenna, but it makes a BIG difference, especially when there's fast QSB
like I encountered on 40. Results on 80 were better than expected, given my
relatively poor vertical antenna. I could eventually get through to most
stations I could hear, although I didn't beat out too many other competing
callers. 160 was a big surprise. I went there at the top of my last operating
hour (0300Z) expecting to work two or three stations for new multipliers. I
ended up staying on 160 the entire last hour with a very decent S&P rate
with 43 QSOs and 22 mults.

Winter NAQP runnings are usually more fun than the summer sessions and this one
proved to be no exception. But I'll undoubtedly be in there pitching come the
August version. Thanks for all the points, and see y'all next time.

73...
Randy, W8FN