[3830] NAQP SSB 8P5A M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tomgeorgens15@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB 8P5A M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 16:41:57 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): KA1JJR W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    5     5
   80:  157    45
   40:  704    55
   20:  768    58
   15:  356    52
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1990   215  Total Score = 427,850

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Two years ago Kathy wanted to operate a contest again after years of inactivity
and countless days helping me.  The last three years we have entered the NAQP
SSB.  This year we could not find a third op, so it was just she and I for a
husband and wife M/2.  On top of the contest, Kathy has shoulder surgery for the
following Tuesday so we had to leave right after the contest to fly all day to
California.

The plan for the contest was to maximize her run (fun) time.  She would operate
15/40 and I would do 20/80/160.

The contest had three distinct phases.  We were worried about 15 opening at all
but we started well.  We were 200Q's (30%) ahead of last year after three hours
but the bands closed early.  15 was essentially done after three hours and 20
after 4.  She made the transition to 40 and was able to restart the rate.  For
me, after about 730Q's in the first 4 hours, I could only manage another 200
over the last 8 hours.

After an initial burst of 40, it slowed considerably.  With 20 closed, and it
being way to early for 80, we had some dreadful hours and gave back the
advantage we had.  Ultimately, we fell over 100 Q's behind last year.

40 bounced back in the final hours and Kathy finished very strong.  I was even
able to get some answers on 80 and contribute a few Q's.

We ended up pulling ahead of last year in the final hour.

I went back up to the station alone early in the morning to take down the
temporary antennas, close up and let her regain her strength for the surgery.  I
have switched the station over to NUC computers since they are easy to transport
with no keyboard and monitor.  However, I forgot to get a copy of the log for my
laptop before I shut down.  When I saw the NX5M score on Sunday night, I knew
the scores were close, but I did not know how close until I could set up the
computer this morning now that I had access to a keyboard and monitor.

It is great to see the NX5M team back doing well and bigger plans ahead.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's and moves.  Also, thanks to NCJ for sponsoring
the contest.  Kathy and I enjoyed it, and managed to not yell at each other a
single time :-)

73, Tom W2SC