[3830] CQ160 CW K8BKM Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thammond@chartermi.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8BKM Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:35:08 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 7:14

Total:  QSOs = 548  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 14  Total Score = 90,650

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

What a difference a day can make.

I had a bad cold most of the week leading up to the contest. Thursday and Friday
were the worst days. At the start of the contest I just couldn't muster the
strength or interest in making any Q's. I tuned around and monitored spots and
observed very good conditions and a quiet band. I was looking primarily for new
countries. Worked P33W and LX7I and turned in early. Saturday was my turn-around
day. I woke up feeling much better and regained strength and interest throughout
the day. By the time the sun set I was ready to go. I started out just S&P
up and down the band and eventually found a clear freq and ran. Unfortunately
the band wasn't nearly as good a shape as Friday night. Signals from EU were way
down. I wish I felt better Friday night. Managed to work 5.5 - 6 hours before
turning in. Kept looking for NE, HI and AK. I heard both NE and AK stations but
never found them calling CQ and they never called me. Got up early Sunday to
work west coast stations and maybe something in the Pacific, but just padded the
log with CONUS stations.

Missed states & provinces: NE, LB, NF, NT, NU, PE, YT. Missed WAS by three
states.

Only two new countries; P3 and LX, bringing my total up to 87. 160M DXCC is one
of the greatest challenges in the hobby.

Feeling much better today, too.

73, and thanks for the Q's!

Tom
K8BKM