[3830] CQ160 CW K7XC Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7xcnv1@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K7XC Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 20:01:03 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: N NV DM09jh
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 539  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 14  Total Score = 110,084

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a very interesting event. The conditions from Friday afternoon thru
Sunrise on Saturday Morning were overall pretty good with small periods of
degradation that seems to just appear and then vanish minutes later. I was able
to hold a frequency most of the night which greatly improved my score. The
Multipliers kept rolling in including many DX stations including EF8R and CR3DX
who each called me with S9 signals. Working over 20+ JA stations at 10 point
each was a huge boon to the final score. Tuning the band I found JT5DX working
stations. Attempts to work him failed so I returned to running stations and went
back at the exact moment the Sun poked above the horizon, Called him once and
got thru the pileup! A nice way to cap off the first days operations. I returned
Saturday afternoon 2 hours before Sunset hearing stations all the way to the
Midwest! Tuning the band I found K0IDX, answering him he gave me ND! The last W0
multiplier I needed. Working him 2 hours before sunset was a huge surprise! As
it grew Dark the band was clearly disturbed with plenty of rapid QSB. Signals
beyond W0/W8/W4 seemed to be locked behind a wall making their signals weak and
full of echo. As the night progressed things slowly improved. Finally after
local Midnight signals were now in the clear and very loud. As the night
progressed I slowly kept finding more multipliers both NA and DX. At this point
missing only WV I kept tuning the band working anyone not in my Log. Afterwards
I began to CQ again with slow but steady results. A weak N8 kept trying to work
me until on his 4th try he rose up out of the noise and voila! gave me WV!
Determined to now break 500 Qs and 100K points I kept at it digging thru the
noise slowly working new stations until I broke 110K ! By then it was almost 4AM
and I couldn't stay awake anymore and packed it in. I am very happy with the
final score as I never thought to do so well at the start. I ended up Working 14
countries over the event with 4 of them new on 160M!! In the last 2 weeks I have
managed to find 13 new countries bringing me very close to completing DXCC!  Not
bad for a very old IC-746 driving an AL-80B to 700W into a 30ft tall 170ft long
Inverted "L". Thanks to all who worked me!