[3830] CQ160 CW N2IC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N2IC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 20:29:43 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 787  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 38  Total Score = 258,990

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Other commitments, happening this weekend every year, make this a part-time
effort. Besides, with a single element transmit antenna, it's just not fun to
get trounced by nearby stations with serious 160 antennas.

8 of my 10 operating hours were on Saturday night. My usual rule-of-thumb is
that if it doesn't open to Europe by 0530Z, it's not going to open. Boy, was I
wrong ! My first EU was SM4CAN at 0608Z. That's not to say that I didn't hear
other stations earlier, but they couldn't hear me. A few more EU S&P until
0643Z, but nothing to get excited about. I started running at 0649Z, and still
can't believe what happened between 0649Z and 0830Z. A real EU run - 70 EU
QSO's. Many of the G's and EA's that called sounded more like 40 meters. Lots of
others, much weaker, but well after their sunrise. This is a first for me on 160
- wish I recorded it. Looking at RBN data, it seems that this was a spotlight
opening for me and my neighbor, N5FO (30 miles west of me), with signals
dropping off quickly moving west into Arizona.

Thanks for the QSO's !

73,
Steve, N2IC