[3830] CQ160 CW OZ7AM(@OZ2ELA) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW OZ7AM(@OZ2ELA) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 01:38:54 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: OZ7AM
Operator(s): OZ7AM
Station: OZ2ELA

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 1480  State/Prov = 42  Countries = 83  Total Score = 1,078,000

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

My first full-blown entry in this contest as SO. Conditions were fine and the
band quiet. I went into it not knowing what to expect and the main goal of the
weekend was to evaluate the performance of OZ2ELA's (fairly) new antenna. 26
metre spider pole with a small top load and a rather neat radial mesh made from
stainless steel wire, extending 40 meters in all directions, raised 2 metres and
intercomnected in a cobweb pattern most appropriate for the whole spider
concept.

As beautiful in its execution as in its performance. No RX antennas available at
this time, but the vertical did just fine all things considered. I was watching
the RBN on the second morning -- in total disbelief when 50 dB SNR reports
rolled in from VE6JY and VE6WZ. What became my AB multiplier?!

All in all a fun weekend. I think 160 just became my favourite band -- when used
with a good antenna that is. CU all next year -- hopefully with an array of 300
metre beverages to compliment the vertical.