[3830] CQ160 CW AC4CA Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AC4CA Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:40:17 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC4CA
Operator(s): AC4AC W4WJ N5RZ
Station: AC4CA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1088  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 58  Total Score = 402,144

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Several weeks ago I suggested to John that we should do a multi op from his
place in CQ 160 CW.    He'd never done a full effort in this one, but had
recently gotten his SAL-30 receiving array up, and had assembled a new transmit
antenna that seemed to work well.   And interesting beast.  IIRC, He feeds 4
radials at 13' with the center conductor of the coax, and the shield is clamped
to his 100' tower.   Strange, but really seems to work!   He also has a
Northeast beverage we could tie in with the SAL using the diversity mode in the
K3.  That really helped.    Ran a Elecraft K3, SPE 2K-FA Amp & N1MM+ logging
software.

Things started pretty much normal since the beginning of the contest is about
2.5 hours before local sunset.   Band was quiet & we were putting Q's in the
logs fairly well, with the rate picking up after sunset.

Condx to EU were decent the first night & got several in the log.  After EU
sunrise, the static crashes started building and never let up the rest of the
weekend.  Some JA's trickled in before sunrise, and the only other DX out wet
was KH6, 5W1 and RAO.   No KL7's heard.

Ended the first morning with 750 Q, 59 S/P & 44 countries - not too bad.

Saturday night, the rates were of course slower, but was able to snag VY1 for
our 60th S/P mult, and put a number more EU in the log.  Never heard KL7, so
missed WAS this time.

Had to turn away many stations who could just not overcome the relentless static
crashes - apologies to all of them. Thanks to all for their patience.

A few more JA's & one more RA0 trickled in, but condx seemed fairly punk to
the end.

Had a good time & exceeded our expectations.  And John was happy to have
gotten a number of new countries.  Ended up with 123 ten pointers, of which 80
were EU, and 31 were JA's.

W4WJ's XYL cooked a feast for us both evenings - thanks Gabrielle!  Even have
some leftovers to keep fed for a few days.

Thanks to all for the QSO's!

73, the AC4CA gang