[3830] RTTY WPX W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:38:27 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 7
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:   71
   40:   92
   20:   97
   15:   80
   10:
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I wanted to try out SO2R on RTTY after having upgraded my K3s so that I could
use the USB audio codec in the K3s instead of dealing with soundcards in the old
W6YX computers.

It took me a couple of hours to get everything working even though I had already
set up one of the K3s and used it in RTTY Roundup. I finally got both K3s
working but no one was answering my CQs. I noticed that my RBN spot was almost 1
kHz above the frequency I thought I was on so I put both K3s on the same band
and found that I was transmitting 840 Hz or so above what the TX radio
indicated. After spending time trying to research solutions on the web I gave up
and just set the RIT to an offset of +0.84.

JE1LFX answered my CQ on 40 for QSO number 1. Then nobody came back to me for a
couple of minutes. I forgot that my TU message automatically cleared the RIT so
I was no longer listening on my transmit frequency. Once I removed the clearing
of RIT from my messages I was good to go. Clicking on packet spots was a no-no
since that also cleared the RIT.

I had visitors just after midnight on the second evening. A couple of our
student club members dropped by and wanted to demo ham radio to two of their
friends. Neither of them had used the club's equipment so I stopped the contest
and helped get an FT1000MP set up so they could listen to some ragchewing in the
40m phone band. Then I demonstrated a RTTY QSO in the contest.

I had planned to operate during the 20m EU opening on Sunday morning but didn't
get to the station until 1730 and most of the spotted EU stations could no
longer be heard.

SO2R was successful but I'll have to figure out what caused the offset between
the TX and RX frequencies.

73,
-Mike, N7MH