[3830] RTTY WPX VE9AA SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX VE9AA SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:15:42 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 15:05

------------
   80:   60
   40:  117
   20:  193
   15:   15
   10:    0
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable operating RTTY.  The long delays freak me
out.  In SSB or CW the station comes back to you almost immediately.

In RTTY, not so much.  Either the guy has fallen off his chair, perhaps picking
his nose, doing SO2R, or is feverishly punching keys with both hands and his big
toe or something. (at least that's what goes on in my head when the delay is
2-3-4-5 or even 10 seconds.  As a QRPer this time, once I got one on a hook, I
wasn't liable to let go so soon.  Had I been HP, I would've been long gone.

Way too much "fluff" sent over the air, hi !

Why is it when I send "NR? NR?" (probably due to QRM/QSB, right?) I
get the whole VE9AA, AB1CD 5NN 5NN 1#$ AB1CD" over again?  Can't you just
send the flippin number?  I mean, really?

Don't think I care to repeat THAT (QRP) again.

Took the day off work Friday to get ready for a semi-serious effort doing HP,
but RF into the computer after almost every single QSO, so I resigned myself to
LP....surely THAT would work?  NOPE! even at 50-60w (which is where I intended
to run the rig at, I was getting RF into my USB port for radio control.

DRATS.....So at somewhere between 4-4.5W, the laptop seemed to not lose radio
connection all too often (maybe once every hour or so) so that was but a minor
annoyance.  About once (maybe twice) a year I try QRP only to remind myself why
I don't do QRP.

I have ferrites on everything here, but my laptop is very susceptible to RF.

I was very happy to work an RK9 station who was only about 549 on the first
call, but I am here to tell you there are many EU bigwigs who were 5NN most of
the contest and not so much as a QRZ....HI

TRied in vain on 20m off and on for over an hour to nab VY1AAA and it was a no
go.  He had a pileup from the time I stumbled across him until well after I am
sure I left.  Next time!

10- dead/buried.

15- clinging to life; but barely....get out the defibrillator

20- a little better, but opened late, closed early.

40- could've maybe spent more time here.  Got Olli, DH8BQA on 40m Sunday
afternoon with probably 2 more hours of sun here.  Great ears as always Olli ol
boy.

80- up and down.  Antennas really shine here, but I think high noise and more
concentration made my numbers lower.  That and I went to bed early, hi!

160- never heard anyone.  Read the rules afterwards.  DOH ! No 160 in this
one...heh heh

No Maritimers worked, but saw VA1XH spotted and heard snippets of Scott, VE1OP
in Cape Breton.

Radio 1 IC-7410 @ 4.5w

Antennas for Radio 1 include, but not limited to:

10m - Bent/twisted A3S on my shed ~24\\\'

15m - K3LR/K1WA (parasitic) 5el array (partially working--ice storm)

20m - Wire/Aluminum 4-square of inverted L\\\'s (Comtek)

40m - Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)

80m - Wire 4-square of Inverted L\\\'s in the trees (Comtek)

160m - Wire 2 element array of Inverted L\\\'s in the trees (Comtek)*currently

only 1 element in service due to some season known locally as winter and all
the wrath it brings.

Radio 2 - IC-7410

Antenna for Radio 2 is a modified ZS6BKW with an added 15m inverted Vee.

80m-6m contest bands, no 160m

N1MM+, CM-500 Mic, N3ZN paddle, SO2R+ box.

(small 550w amps used for some contests)

Thanks for the Q\\\'s

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit

Mike in NB, VE9AA