[3830] ARRLDX CW K3WJV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K3WJV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 01:22:18 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:   29    25
   80:  187    71
   40:  342    93
   20:  747   103
   15:   44    30
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1350   323  Total Score = 1,308,150

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

In all my years of contesting I have never had a catastrophe until now.  There
is a problem with tin plated connectors in early K3 xcvrs that I was not aware
of or I probably would have corrected that during my many upgrades.  The serial
#'s from about 3000 on are OK and I was lucky? to have serial #2995.

I started getting some brief 12volt errors Friday night but it got real bad
Saturday morning.  I killed 3.5 hours trying to swap my 2nd rig to my Acom and
wound up changing everything back when I couldn't get the rig to key cw.  It was
sorta OK if I didn't xmit for long periods but when it did fail I wound up
losing a few contacts after not being able to send my report and one of those
was a EU mult on 160, hi.

Eventually it stayed in error status and I was forced to swap coaxes for certain
band changes and also had to resort to manual loading my Alpha instead of having
my auto tuning Acom hooked up to the 2nd radio.  I wound up with a decent score
I guess but had visions of a much better result.  Oh well.  Other than the
hardships I endured I still had a lot of fun for most of the contest.

Did I mention I hate loading amplifiers during contests?  I am truly spoiled by
the Acom and I have a KPA1500 ordered to replace the Alpha.  It sure would have
been nice to have it for this fiasco.

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

FT1000MP & Alpha 89
K3/P3 & Acom 2000A

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron
Inv vees for 40m-80m-trapped 160 @ 55ft

Palstar HF-AUTO    WinKeyer USB & Vibroplex paddle
Rx ants - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbogs staggered & spaced @ 66ft - DXE ncc-2
SO2R >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
       (not full blown so2r yet - need 2nd beam)

N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger