[3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 01:59:08 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:  280    77
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  280    77  Total Score = 64,680

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Remote from Japan.  This was a relaxed, part-time effort with plenty of breaks
for meals and walks with the XYL.

In addition to the above, I also made these contacts:

20M 3 X 3
80M  63 X 37
160M 17 X 12

Too bad there are no LP single band categories.  The contest could benefit from
them.

My tribander (fixed west on a mast at 40 feet) is no longer working, so I
suspect it has fallen down during my absence.  I spent a few minutes on 20 at
the start of the contest and the band sounded really good, with lots of strong
JAs and other stations, but with the tribander out of commission I couldn't do
much with my 40, 80 and 160 dipoles, so I gave up on any high band activity.  In
any case, those bands are mainly open during my night, and I didn't want to lose
any sleep for this event.

40 was in great condition and I even had a few decent runs.  Only the JAs were
weak and I only managed to work one (JH4UYB, of course, who always seems to hear
me).  Strangely, the JAs were stronger on 80 than 40, and 8 or 10 of them were
easy copy there.  I managed to snag two with my 100 watts and a dipole (the
previously mentioned JH4UYB and JH1OGC), which doesn't happen very often for me.
 My friend JH1EAQ running 150 watts was also easy copy on 80 both days but the
most I could get from him was ? and NN?  No fault of his, I sure can't be very
loud in JA on 80.

I managed to work almost every mult I heard on 40 except for a CE who QRT'd,a ZB
who was half in the contest and half working JAs, a weak RT0 and a T8.  I was
not alone though; a lot of others couldn't get through.  (Misery loves company.)
 HI3AA had a hellish pileup which I couldn't bust but after a break of a couple
of hours I got back on and he was calling CQ with few callers, so I finally got
through.

I am still trying to figure out what the station sending "RR" for his
power meant. Some cut number I am not familiar with?

Lots of fun.  Thanks for the contacts.

73, Hal W1NN/remote Tokyo