[3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 03:57:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  467    80  Total Score = 112,080

Club:

Comments:

Not quite enough snow to build an igloo this year. Instead, used a pop-up ice
fishing shelter. QTH is the summit of Witt Hill in Norway, Maine. Used battery
power. And a small propane heater (more valuable than a rare multiplier). Also
had a UTV with tracks to haul stuff. No more human sled power. Antennas: 2
dipoles at 30 and 40 feet.

Nice propagation to Europe (of course - its Maine) but really tough going to
South America. We could hear them but they couldn't hear us. Thrilled to work
KL7RA. But not much else over the poles. Heard but didn't work VU2CPL on
Saturday morning. Band was open to Hawaii and south Pacific most of the night.
Worked 2 JA's. Just barely. It felt like I ran out of stations to work - as is
often the case with wire antennas and single bands. Very much appreciate all the
stations that answered my CQ's.

Weather was interesting. Temperature dropped from 35 to 0 (f) on Friday night.
Winds gusting to around 30mph. I heard a plastic bucket roll down the hill. Some
freezing rain. About 3 inches of snow fell Saturday night. Btw, it looks really
cool when you aim a headlamp at falling snowflakes. Heard coyotes nearby, right
after the contest ended. Could be an omen?