[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:10:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   42    32
   80:  145    59
   40:  351    72
   20:  690    89
   15:  128    50
   10:   18    13
-------------------
Total: 1374   315  Total Score = 1,288,035

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

These were challenging conditions for low power. On the low bands the added path
attenuation was like running straight into a brick wall. A few db would have
made a world of difference. Then on 15 I could only listen while those a little
to the south were working Europeans that I could not even hear. There is no SWL
category in this contest. I learned a lot in this contest that I'll put to use
in antenna work this year.

It was nice to hear all the QRP activity (my category for a few years), many
with great signals, which in this contest is proudly advertised in the
exchange.

Among the numerous small technical problems that cropped up this weekend was a
big one that almost ended the contest for me. The direction pot on the high
tower's rotator decoupled a few weeks ago so I rely on the window (daytime) or
counting out the seconds of rotation and occasional confirmation with a bright
flashlight at night. Too late I discovered that a wiring flaw Saturday night
meant it was turning in only one direction.

At dawn I confirmed with binoculars that it overturned by 100 degrees and the
rotation loops were drawn tight around the tower. Luckily the flaw was in the
shack, not on the tower, so no need to go climbing 150' in February, which was
not in the cards anyway. It cost me 30 minutes of prime time 20 meters to fix.
When it comes to a contest between two RG213 rotation loops and a prop pitch
motor I know where I'd place my bet!