[3830] CQ160 SSB W4GE Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, schmiera@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB W4GE Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 01:44:35 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: W4GE
Operator(s): W4GE
Station: W4GE

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 11:01

Total:  QSOs = 456  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 20  Total Score = 83,990

Club: $199 CC

Comments:

Condx during the CW test were far better! Short skip ruled in this 'test!

Lots of EU spotted but very few heard or worked.  No EU Sunrise Bump.  Just flat
ran out of people to contact!  Pretty much got every ham licensed in OH, MD, IL,
IN, VA and MI.  Hung it up when it got to be 7 minutes between calls while
running.  That said, only missed WY, SD, and DC in the CONUS.  But no KL's or
KH's....  Even the Caribbean was faint, which is very unusual for our SC QTH.

Equipment-wise all worked well, but did learn that my 5KW 1:4 balun at the base
of my 1/4 wave 80m vertical does not like 1300W shoved down its throat at a 7:1
SWR while transmitting way up the band at 1935 KHZ. Luckily all cooled down and
is still working just fine nearer the resonance point of the tuning network.

Equipment:
Rig: K3/P3 in diversity mode; Acom 1500; XMatch Tuner.
TX Antenna:  Base loaded DXE 80m 1/4 wave vertical with ground field.
RX Antennas: Pixel Loop, RBOG (N/S), RBOG (E/W), NE Pennant.

Top banders are a gracious, fun bunch.  Even had time to chat with a few about
conditions and working at GE many, many years ago during contest lulls.  Thanks
to all for their wonderful comaradeie!
Rick
W4GE

ps:  Our $199 CC is named for what we locals in Charleston tell our significant
others how much a piece of equipment costs when it shows up at our door....