[3830] NCQP N4CW Mobile SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCQP N4CW Mobile SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:29:21 +0000
                    North Carolina QSO Party

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: Mobile SO Mixed LP
QTH: NC (Mobile)
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:  244
   40:  470      4
   20:  173     16
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  887     20      0  Mults = 68  Total Score = 186,018

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Phew!
After a really busy Saturday in the SCQP (26 counties activated), Jim (W4TMO)and
I started off on a rainy morning, and all day it was on and off rain. Jim drove
and I operated. Great DX on 20 early Sunday; worked as far east as Russia and
west to BC with lots in-between. We worked OM2VL on CW and SSB as often as
conditions permitted; Laci always had a fine signal. It was an amazing and fun
adventure, always wondering if K1GQ would be the first Q after crossing a county
line or changing bands...several others, including K1RO and WA1Z would be there
also. Needless to say, I loved the following and a great appreciation to all the
patient stations who only gave their calls once! Whittling down the pileups
eventually got everybody interested in a Q from us.
If I was slow to respond, that may have been due to the "snaking"
through the mountain roads in Western NC...it was not only an adventure, it was
a challenge not to hit extra keys and keeping the paddle from sliding off the
plywood board I was using as a "desk". Other hazards that slowed us
down were bumpy roads, especially one gravel road that had a narrow wooden
bridge (one lane!)near
Boone. Jim was navigating with his cell phone, and it had a habit of choosing
the shortest distance between points; that's not always advisable because you go
on some interesting excursions!
Murphy only showed his face a couple times and we weren't delayed much...mostly
with not being familiar with the logger, "CQX".
Jim really did a great job mapping out our route, plugging the county line
coordinates into his cell phone, then following orders from the GPS app.
We want to thank Marty and the NCQP coordinators for their excellent work. We
were able to provide "CAROLINA" using both SC and NC counties and hope
many avail themselves to the raffle for doing so (see the rules).
This year our mobile station consisted of a K3 and two Outback antennas (an
"Outreach" on the trailer hitch mount and a mag-mounted
"Perth" on top of the RAV-4). Power was by two 45 AH AGM batteries in
parallel with a battery charger helping to keep them "alive"); I have
yet to hook to the SUV's internal battery...some day...
Thanks, all y'all, for a real fun time. Well done! Bert (N4CW) and Jim (W4TMO)