[3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:15:32 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00

   80:   88    29
   40:  195    46
   20:   86    28
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  369   103  Total Score = 38,007

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: Baud Boyz

Comments:

This was another fun outing with the Baud Boyz.  One of our regular team members
couldn't participate, so Pat, W3RGA, filled in nicely. Thanks, Pat. Thanks,
everyone.

The team was

John,  N8FYL
Rex,   NX8G
Pat,   W3RGA
Jerry, W4UK
and me.

No 15m or 10m, although I saw some weak 15m signals, one of which I believe was
W7WW well stirred, not shaken, into the noise.

K6DTT remote in ME was a nice surprise. We need some remote stations in RI. VT,
too. Maybe an RV with a remote station that can travel around to rare states.

40m was the money band.  There were monster signals everywhere and I had a
terrible time doing S&P. I had some running success there, but overall only
19% of my QSOs were from CQing.  I hesitate to say running.

I was more careful distributing my time between 20m and 40m and, later, 40m and
80m. That was facilitated by making very careful, precise marks for my manual
antenna tuner's adjustments for 40m and 80m.  Considering that it's across the
room in a dark corner, this was a big help. I still need a flashlight at night
to go back there to set it.

The problem is the tricky 80m settings which change over time. In a week they
will be slightly different, just enough to be out of tune. I don't know why. The
moon?  More likely something changes in the house and disturbs the counterpoise
field.

BTW, do you remember when antenna tuners were called trans-matches, meaning they
match the transmitter output to the feedline?  That is an accurate description
of what we now call antenna tuners.  You can tuna fish, but not an antenna.

Thanks for the good time.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM+  MMTTY/MMTTY/2Tone
20m attic dipole
Outdoor 66' stealth wire for 40m & 80m + an old Dentron manual tuner and
indoor counterpoise.