[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE9AA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE9AA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 00:31:14 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 9:31

  160:
   80:
   40:  471    71
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  471    71  Total Score = 100,323

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

The goal for this one was to beat my ARRL DX CW (80m) score in less time, seeing
as how it was an (ahem) "easier" band.  Did that with 4 hours to
spare.
Not sure it was an easier band or not.

No Friday night/ Saturday morning operation.  Cold draggin' me down and too
tired from work week.
Drank a cold Stella Artois and chased it with a Jack Daniels and Coke, then at
contest open, never had radio on - and about an hour later, cashed in my chips
and promptly went to bed.

Saturday I slept in and was still tired and still had head cold. (ahhh-choo!)
(note to self, drinkin' ain't a cold remedy.

Started Saturday just before Sunset and must've got spotted as I had a rip
roarin' pileup of weak (and a few strong) EU's for about 1.25hours.  Best 10
rates bumped above 300 a few times - this is great I thought....until it died.

40m didn't die...the pileup did.  After 2 hours I had literally nobody calling.
Swept the band and found a few mults.  Went to watch TV.

Came back later...CQ's until I was blue in the face and went to bed.

Got up at 4am hoping for some Ja/VK/ZL action with maybe some late prop to EU
(an hour after their SR but what I found was 3 or 4 weak EU's who I'd already
worked, strong Carib for some mults and no DX whatsoever except a few very weak
Hawaiins.  The only one I could work at this time was Bill, KH7XS.

Went and fried up a slab of ham and 2 eggs over easy and made a pot of coffee.
Came back at 5:30am or so and the KH6's were all worked now bing bang boom along
with a smattering of VK's (who of course later were VERY strong, hi)

No ZL's heard, but I see (from 3830 reports) there was at least one who had 400+
Q's on 40m, so I slept through that I guess)

No other PAC heard.  Heard 2 weak Ja's )4/1-5/1) but no getting their
attention.

Watched TV all Sunday and went back at it an hour before SS here again beaming
EU.

Again a brief spurt, presumably got spotted, then after 45 mins it dried up.
Worked 1 new mult Sunday and endured an excrutiating last hour in the low teens
just to see if I could bump myself over the 100k mark.  Made it in the last 2
Q's.

Had fun for the limited time I spent on the band and always kinda find 40m
rather odd, with random digi, jamming and EU-roundtables plopping down on top of
you, but it is what it is, hi!

Thanks all for the Q's.

I am ready for Sunspots and a day when I can try single band 10m or 15m !

Radio 1 IC-7410
Antennas for Radio 1 limited to:

40m - Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)

N1MM+, CM-500 Mic, N3ZN paddle, SO2R+ box.

(small 750w PEP SSB amp)

Thanks for the Q\'s

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit