[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2rj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 00:59:53 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2RJ
Operator(s): N2RJ
Station: N2RJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 30:54
Radios: SO2R

  160:    6     5
   80:   37    33
   40:  246    67
   20:  685    90
   15:  154    60
   10:   33    15
-------------------
Total: 1161   270  Total Score = 940,410

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

SO Unlimited LP. No amp here (will get it back soon).

This started out to be a real mess - BAD weather, ICE and snow, high winds.
Power outages all over town. Crashed my minivan into a fallen tree less than 1/2
mile from home. We are all OK, thankfully. Van has some minor damage but
insurance can take care of that.

Came home to a dark house. Had to switch on the generator and operate on
emergency power for the first few hours. Thankfully Sussex Rural Electric Co-op
restored the power very quickly so we got it back before midnight.  BUT... that
was not the end! I restarted all equipment here only to discover one transceiver
had a problem, so I used one I have as a loaner. I tried switching on the
Flex-6700 when utility power was restored, and after a few tries it came on.
Phew! No worries, the excellent service department at FlexRadio has me covered.

Ice weighed down my antennas, drooped them on Friday night. Was nerve wracking
operating on 40. I also did S&P most of the time because I did not know if I
was able to run. That said, I tried to run with moderate success on 40. But
those WINDS - they walked my antennas so I had to go outside and take a check of
what the direction was, and adjust back in the shack. I went to bed around 2,
figuring I would get up and run.

Saturday morning, overslept. Winds still howling. DROOP on antennas still there.
UGH! I did the best I can to beam europe but it turns out the SteppIR was
beaming stateside. WHen I did not see a panadapter full of signals I was like,
wait a minute - then turned the other direction and S9+++ everywhere. I ran and
ran and shockingly on low power it was not that bad. But chasing pileups was a
mess. I swear I was last place behind everyone with an amp. I felt absolutely
weak! But I did manage to work some interesting mults - including two 9Ys.

Sunday was not too bad. Did some running on 20, and 15 opened up to Europe!!!
Yes!!! It was not a barn burner like the solar peak but it was nice to have
Europe somewhere other than 20 and below. Worked a lot of stations on 15. Even
went on 10 and worked the usual Carib/SA contingent. Worked a lot of stations on
10, but pileups are aggravating on low power. I hate it. I lost out on a number
of them. Oh well.

Worked 8P5A on 6 bands. I think Tom was the only one. 160 is not nice on LP,
even though I have a phased transmit array and Beverage antennas.

Band conditions were not great, but I did get points for my club and hopefully a
good result for me.

See you in WPX.

88
Ria