[3830] ARRLDX SSB W5MX SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bydal@roadrunner.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W5MX SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 02:32:06 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: ky
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   24    20
   80:   70    47
   40:  249    71
   20:  917    97
   15:  266    69
   10:   58    17
-------------------
Total: 1584   321  Total Score = 1,511,910

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Late start as usual. Was cold this weekend so had to get the wood stove going
before the contest, and that wastes at least 1/2 hour. It was an SSB contest
anyway so not my favorite. Too hard to eat while operating.

Condx seemed a bit flat the first night. Spent the whole night S&P with just
a few cq's. Slept about 5 hours and got up to look for mults about 12z. Started
on 160 and climbed the ladder to 20. Found a spot and cq with couple hour EU
run. Went to 15 and worked mostly southern eu and carrib/sa. Spent most of the
day just S&P and even got bored enough to take a 2 hr nap. Tried to cq a bit
on 40, 80 and 160 Sat night but just couldn't get much going. Went to bed and
slept another 5 hours or so. No shortage of sleep this weekemd1

Sunday was different. Great EU runs on 20 off and on all day, lots of low power
stuff too. Band was absolutely packed though and qrm tremendous. Decent 15m
opening as well, worked a ton of I, F and EA stations. Then 10 opened wide open
to carrib/sa. Some very strong signals and easy to pick up some badly needed
mults. Quit the contest about 2 hours early to pack everything up and drive
home. Have to catch an early flight tomorrow for business.

A few things I need to improve on the tation this year, mainly a 4sq on 80 and
stack a couple of 2 element 40's. And the big one: run electricity up to the
contest site. I'm tired of meessing with the generator and wood stove! Cuts in
to operating time too much when a single op. Multi not so bad as someone can
always be at the rig.

Thank you all for the Q's!
Bryan
W5MX