[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 03:41:39 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:    4     3
   80:   51    31
   40:  383    68
   20:  982   107
   15:   73    32
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1494   242  Total Score = 1,084,644

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I had every intention of making this a full-time, serious effort, but short
openings and long periods of painfully slow rates turned it into a semi-serious
effort.

10m and 15m were greatly missed. No EU and almost no JA on 15m. In fact, 15m
didn't really open until about noon, local time, and then pretty much closed
about four hours later. Cracking a pile-up was absolutely brutal. I'm certain
anyone with 5 watts and long wire beat me. Rough.

KH7M was my only Q on 10m. Talk about being at the right place at right time. It
was really just that quick before he was gone and faded into the noise.

20m was wall-to-wall with layers of stations trying to find a space to operate.
Saturday's opening to EU was excellent. Sunday was good too with many loud 100
watt stations calling in, but maybe participation was lower on Sunday? That's
how it felt.

The strongest EU opening on 40m was the first night, before and around, local
sunset. Signals started to fade once the sun went down, so there was an urgency
to work as many multipliers as possible before they disappeared.

A low Q and mult total on 80m masks working some great DX. Special thanks to
ZS1TMJ for a nice long haul QSO. The second night featured a somewhat broader EU
opening which was very cool, even if it meant several minutes of calling to get
the operator's attention.

160m is still a pain in my $ss. I'm still working to improve my signal and
receiving abilities.

Thanks to all for the Qs.

73, Mitch, K7RL