[3830] ARRLDX SSB K2AX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob_beyer@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K2AX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 04:31:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K2AX
Operator(s): AA3K K2AX W2ABE KD2NRS W2DLT W2DG KE2D
Station: K2AX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 36:22

  160:   26    21
   80:  104    52
   40:  278    77
   20:  977   101
   15:  232    76
   10:   43    16
-------------------
Total: 1660   343  Total Score = 1,684,473

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was a much different experience than the previous three DX contests this
season.  To begin with, Mother Nature reminded those of us on the east coast
who’s the boss. A nor’easter storm brought high winds, rain, and several
inches of snow on Friday.  This knocked out power for many stations; some may
not have been able to get on at all.  On my way to K2AX on Friday afternoon,
Mark called to say I shouldn’t rush because the power was out in the shack.
By the time I arrived, luckily it was back on and we were up for the rest of the
contest.
We suffered a couple of key crew losses due to unavoidable personal commitments
and illness so we had to be flexible and make up the schedule on the fly to
maximize our efforts.

Propagation was as poor as I’ve think I’ve seen in a big contest.  I really
wasn’t expecting anything out of 10m but we got a small window late on Sunday
afternoon and put a few mults in the log. What really surprised me was the lack
of activity on 160m.

Since we had managed about 4.2m in the CW contest two weeks earlier, I was
hoping to do half that or maybe a little more for SSB.  Dream on.  However, from
what I’ve heard, our score may be on par with similar efforts or some of the
SOAB HP stations.

Thanks once again to Mark, Donna, and their family for their patience and
hospitality.  Donna is great. She turns on the gear and the heat before we
arrive. She keeps the the fire wood bin filled while we're there. And she cleans
up after we leave. Mark also jumped in the chair for 4 hours on Sunday and
produced a good run on 20m to help fill in a critical gap in the schedule.
Thanks also to K3FT for coordinating the whole effort ahead of time and pulling
a crew together for our final push of the season.

Go FRC!