[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7HKR SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7HKR SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 00:25:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:   0      0
   80:   7      4
   40:  27     18
   20:  16     10
   15:   5      4
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  55     36  Total Score = 5,940

Club:

Comments:

100 watts, 7-foot diameter (160/80/40/20) and 3-foot diameter (20/15/10)
magnetic loops at 15 feet from AZ

This was certainly the least fun I've had in the 1.5 years I've been operating.
The pileups were a zoo and I still had trouble being heard when they weren't.
Everyone who had trouble with my call or state was polite whether they finally
dug it out or asked me to try later, but I was still probably wasting their time
and annoying anybody else who was waiting.  I could blame conditions, but with
truly limited space and having to run low power, that's not really the problem.
Might be time for a new hobby.

As for specifics, 2 Eu stations last year, and none this year (heard plenty).
No Africa, not even EA8.  Five JA vs. 10 last year.  Two separate 3 hour-ish
stretches with zero QSOs, and a max hour of 7.  As usual, ran assisted just to
relieve the boredom and look for band openings; all manual tuning.

There were a few highlights:
1) Worked a ZL (easily) and 2 VKs (one easily)
2) First JA on 80 where antenna is about 5% efficient
3) Nicaragua ATNO (on 3 bands)
4) Worked much more Aloha than last year (25% of my QSOs!)