[3830] VaQP K4VIG M/MFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] VaQP K4VIG M/MFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 22:22:21 +0000
                    Virginia QSO Party

Call: K4VIG
Operator(s): K4VIG K3JWI W4XK KE4CMA W4NZ
Station: K4VIG

Class: M/MFixed LP
QTH: Wythe County
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:    3
   80:  106     76
   40:  148    173
   20:   64      1
   15:    1
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  322    250      0  Mults = 105  Total Score = 93,345

Club: Tennessee Valley DX Association

Comments:

This is the fifth year a group from our Tennessee Valley DX Association has
traveled from the Chattanooga area to Wythe County to operate the VAQP. We set
up field-day style at a hunting lodge near Speedwell. There were 3 stations
(K3s, K3, TS590s) on the air manned by 5 operators. Antennas consisted of a
G5RV, an 80M dipole fed with ladder line, a 40M EDZ and a 160m inverted-L with
one raised radial. The 80/40's were fed through tuners for multiband operation.
All antennas were at a good height of 40 to 60 feet between some large trees.
Conditions on Saturday were not very good.  Even with only 3 transmitters it was
hard to find a band/mode that would support runs of any length. Then there were
thunderstorms which forced a shut down for a while Saturday night.  Sunday
morning, conditions were marginally better and seemed to improve slightly as the
day wore on. Only one signal was heard on 15m. VA activity seemed very lite
compared to past years. There were many times when CQ's went unanswered for
several minutes. We felt the extended hours this year were not that productive.

In spite of all this it was still a lot of fun. Good food, good fellowship and
playing radio in the woods for a couple of days was still enjoyed by everyone.
We appreciate all those who stopped by to give us a QSO.

73, Ted W4NZ for the TVDXA team (Gary K4VIG, Ken K3JWI, Bill W4XK and Billy
KE4CMA)