[3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 02:43:25 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  313
   40: 1128
   20: 1606
   15: 1351
   10:  379
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was intended to be a short trip, two days less than my usual 6-day contest
journeys to Aruba, as we have grandkids descending on us on Tuesday after the
contest.  But it became even shorter thanks to a 7-hour delay in Miami caused by
AA maintenance woes.  So no time for the usual socializing, dinners with
friends, etc.

Fortunately we had been active for both ARRL DX contests, so the station was
left in great shape, and other than plugging in my backpack-carried K3/P3 to
complement the resident shack K3/P3, and setting up the computer and interfaces,
there wasn't much to do (though a little more sleep would have been nice...).

I last did this contest two years ago in 2016.  AS compared to that effort, this
year Qs are down by 5%, mults by 20%, and score by 16%.  More Qs on 40 and 80
this year helped prevent a further score reduction.  In fact, it would have been
better but for an almost two-hour power failure Sunday morning that left me
operating for 34 hours instead of 36.

As for mults, the main difference was a drop in EUs from 31% to 14%, and in JA
QSOs from 50 to only 3.  Ouch!

This contest seemed like a lot of hard work, but it's still a great way to spend
a weekend!

Thanks as usual to co-owner John, W6LD, P40L, and to frequent visitor Ed, W0YK,
P49X, for their maintenance efforts, and to JP (P43A) and Cris(P43C) for all of
their work on the house, which includes new living room furniture and drapes.

73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y
Rig: K3x2, Alpha 91B, 86
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, beverages, C31
Software: CQPWIN ver 12.9

Full write-up, including rate sheet and story will be posted at www.arubaqth.com