[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:59:47 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 33.3

------------
  160:    2
   80:    9
   40:   44
   20:  124
   15:   65
   10:   32
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 - 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40 - 80  Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were about as bad as to be expected at this point in the cycle. It is
the worst I have ever done in the WPX SSB contest from home going back to my
first all-band entry in 2008.

But there were a number of high points.  Perhaps the biggest thrill was working
NR6O (400 miles) for my first 160 Meter Q in any contest going back a few years.
It wasn't even a new prefix, but he patiently went through his receive antennas
until he could pull me out, ...THANKS!! I later worked a local friend for
another 160 Meter Q for the tremendous total of TWO Qs on 160.

I only worked one European Q in this contest, CR5C on 20. Incredibly it was a
fast and easy Q! I heard a number of Europeans on 20 but all weak. I only heard
one Euro on 15: a CR6.

I was also delighted to work VY0AA who is in Zone 2 up in that vast sparsely
inhabited area of northern Canada. Too bad I didn't get credit for the Zone 2!

I only worked four JA stations which is usually a mainstay of my score. I'm not
sure if it was propagation or just not participating.

I had a DXCC of only 33 and a WAZ of only 18.  Only 83 of all my Qs were
actually off continent.

But it is still fun in the bad times as well as the good times. I just reset my
expectations!

See you in WPX CW.  73,  Bill Parker  W8QZA - W6QU