[3830] WPX SSB K5FUV SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K5FUV SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:21:38 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:   68
   40:   61
   20:  771
   15:   67
   10:   43
------------
Total: 1010  Prefixes = 466  Total Score = 878,876

Club:

Comments:

Not a serious effort. After looking at other reports, I can see that if one were
to take this contest seriously, one should pay more attention to 80 and 40.

After a 128 first hour on 20m. I took the rest of the night off. Hit 80 and 40
between 10-11Z, and pretty much took off until 13-1500Z, then took off again.
Operating a Phone contest from here when only 20 is open isn't fun. Made a few
Qs on 15m between 1700-1900, then spent about four hours on 20m.Made a few Qs on
40m, took off for dinner,and returned to 40 and 80 until 0200Z, then packed it
in for the night.
 Next morning made a few (very few) Qs between 1000-1130Z on 40 and 80, thus
completing my low band operations for the weekend. I then operated sporadically
from 1300z to 2100Z, at which time an approaching thunderstorm had me
disconnecting all antennas. After a hit on my vertical last year, I don't wait
until the last minute anymore.

I was surprised at how good the 10m opening was on Sunday afternoon, although
generally limited to SA. I could actually get some responses to my CQs there. On
15m, I did hear some loud EU, but mostly working SA, and only a couple of them
were able to hear me.

I did get a tower base dug last week, so maybe I can do away with the push up
mast soon. Contesting with solar flux below 70 isn't fun. Maybe in two or three
years things will get better, should I live so long.