[3830] WPX SSB OH6QU SO(A)SB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh6qu@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OH6QU SO(A)SB15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:22:52 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OH6QU
Operator(s): OH6QU
Station: OH6QU

Class: SO(A)SB15 HP
QTH: Maalahti
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Just part time effort to study propagations on 15M late evening/night
time Polar Path openings towards NA and OC. This time the Polar Path
was open only on Saturday evening around 18:30 - 23:00 UTC. Once
again the openings were favouring Southern US States. I managed to
work stations from TX (5), Az (3), Fl (2) and Ms (1). WA7NB and N7RQ
from Arizona were audible here several hours but their signals were
going up and down in 15-30 mins intervals. The loudest station by far
was W5CT - he was 59+20 dB at its best around 20:00 - 21:00 UTC.

The most peculiar QSO on 15M was with KH7XS around 20:15 UTC. I heard
him CQing while beaming towards US East Coast at 300 deg. I turned my
tribander stack towards Hawaii at 000 deg and he disappeared
completely. I turned my antennas back to US East Coast and there he
was again with solid readable signal. It seems that the geomagnetic
disturbances made the polar region impenetrable and the only way from
Europe to Hawaii was a skewed path around the North Pole.

The contest setup was FTdx5000 + OM2500A / 1.5 kW and 3 x Hy-Gain TH7DX.

Tnx for QSOs!
Jari OH6QU & OG6A
https://www.qrz.com/db/OH6QU/