[3830] MoQP K0S(@N0AX) Rover Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hwardsil@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] MoQP K0S(@N0AX) Rover Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 23:02:33 +0000
                    Missouri QSO Party

Call: K0S
Operator(s): N0AX KD0PES
Station: N0AX

Class: Rover Multi-Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:   56
   40:  434
   20:  379
   15:
   10:
----------------------------
Total:  869     0       0  Mults = 73  Total Score = 126,655

Club:

Comments:

Very good results here at the solar minimum!  Thanks to the patient driving of
Ellen KDØPES, we logged 937 miles as we hit 31 counties and completed our goal
of activating all of MO's 119 (I think) counties.  We only stopped a few times
and kept right on moving, making good time.  Not sure what we do next year -
start over?

I decided to concentrate on 20 and 40 and move between as many counties as
possible - that turned out to be a good decision. Each county generated a flurry
(no weather pun intended - we did get some on Sunday) of contacts and an
occasional county line stop spiced things up a bit.  We just toggled between 20
and 40, announcing our presence whenever we were within mobile phone service.
Saturday, we were out in the boonies - not much mobile phone service but we did
see a camel, the world's largest goose statue in Sumner, many Amish buggies and
farms, and saw quite a few glacial erratics on the roadside.

N6MU was our constant companion and I think worked us in all 31 - many other
familiar calls in the log over and over.  From EU, we picked up DL3DXX and LY5W
a number of times both days, with DL2OY and HC2AO also calling in.

Murphy did bite a bit. Despite efforts to check out the station beforehand, the
boom mike just would not work and with a lot of action on CW, I just decided to
make it a CW-Only weekend. (Of course, it's fine at home - might have been road
noise clobbering the VOX circuit.)  I hope no Phone-only stations missed the
SHOW ME because of that!  Then the rig interface decided to get happy feet at
full power on 40 meters.  Although a lunch-time stint of rearrangement in the
parking lot of the Toot-Toot Family Tavern in Harrison County helped a lot,
there were still some lockups so I just sent everything manually from that
point.  Lessons learned (again) - take the hand mike (or use a footswitch for
PTT) and do bring the box of ferrites.

Sunday afternoon is always a hoot as everybody piles in trying to get "that
last one" and this year was no different.  Moving from Callaway into
Montgomery and then Warren generated substantial pileups that really generated a
lot of QSOs.  We stopped at the last rest stop and made sure to work everybody
following us from Warren and then clicked over to STC and home.  The final clock
ticked over with just 15 minutes of driving left so we didn't waste a minute.

Thanks to all the MO stations for activating their counties and to the
out-of-state ops who joined the fun and chased us around the state.  Also thanks
to the WØMA team who put this all together, led by Randy NØLD - great job!

Now to get the ghost code in my ears to stop...

73, Ward NØAX and Ellen KDØPES