[3830] MSQP KC4HW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jim.kc4hw@gmail.com, contest@alabamacontestgroup.org
Subject: [3830] MSQP KC4HW Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 22:20:10 +0000
                    Mississippi QSO Party

Call: KC4HW
Operator(s): KC4HW
Station: KC4HW

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:    2
   40:   57
   20:   55
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  114     0       0  Mults = 96  Total Score = 21,888

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First of all, thanks to all that I worked during the MsQP!

My planning started out a couple a weeks ago.  I did not have a second op/driver
for the event, but thought that I since I had operated many times in the AQP FQP
and GQP that I could pull it off again in Mississippi.

Brought the RV over to Camp Shelby just outside of Hattiesburg on Friday.  Nice
military family campground at Lake Walker.  Stayed two night, rainy and cooler
WX on Friday and Saturday nights made camping a bit uncomfortable, but it wasn't
to bad.  Came back home on Sunday.  Visited the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum,
 outside area and enjoyed that very much.  Unfortunately the inside exhibits
were closed for the day.  Everyone at Camp Shelby and Southern Mississippi were
very pleasant and I enjoyed my time there.

By in large, I planned to operate 30 minutes and travel 30 minutes between
counties.  So with that in mind I planned for JONES, COVINGTON, JEFF DAVIS,
LAWRENCE, LINCOLN, FRANKLIN, AMITE, PIKE, WALTHALL, MARION, LAMAR and FORREST
and if I had time PERRY, which is where Camp Shelby is located.  Just before the
start I decided to try to save a few miles by coming down I-55 from Lincoln to
Pike and slip back to Amite and Franklin counties.  Not sure that it saved any
real time.

Unfortunately darkness got me and my solution to have an USB LED light shining
on the keyboard did not work out so good.  So when I got to Marion county I
really could not see very well at all, without another solution for the
darkness, I gave it up which resulted in missing LAMAR, FORREST and PERRY and by
the time I got back to Camp Shelby it was nearly 9PM and the event was all but
over.  I probably could have done better in MARION and gotten LAMAR and FORREST
counties with the better lighten.  Oh well will ind a better solution.

Used an FT-891 and Hustler 20, 40 and 80m resonators.  I have a bit of RFI to
the computer from the very beginning, in fact had to restart the computer once
if was so bad.  I tried re-routing cables but it did not help.  I guess I have
to do a bit more grounding on the mobile and some chokes on the antenna.

Just like Alabama, Georgia and Florida rural area generally have a good bit of
noise!  Mississippi was no exception!

The 20m resonator worked pretty good and seemed to have no problem with RFI. I
acquired another mount and mast to have a more permanent installation for the
20m resonator but could not get it installed before I left.

40m antenna definitely needed some adjustment. It actually seemed that the
suggested frequency of 50kHz up from the bottom was not to good on 40m, because
there seemed to be alot of RTTY activity in the early evening.

Although with only 2 QSOs on 80m, I really thought that it would have worked OK,
those two signals were good, thanks to K2DSW and W4XK.  The problem was I could
not see the keyboard--DARKNESS!!

Worked LY5W and DL3DXX on 20m around 2030Z and 2147Z.  Had repeat QSOs with
K0AP, WB8WKQ, K4BAI, K4AMC, KN4Y and KI4MZC. Worked a few VEs and stations from
all over the US.  Thanks to all.

Will be going over to Georgia this coming weekend for a part time effort on
Saturday and then again on Sunday--it is pretty easy to get to SW Georgia.  Will
be single op no driver again.  Will post my routes on QRZ.

Congratulations to Chuck and Skip for a great 26 county effort!  My effort was
very meager in comparison!  But I did the best I could with the environment that
I was working with.  Perhaps I can do better next year!  Next year, I think that
I will try the Eastern counties of Mississippi and see if that might work out a
little better.  Perhaps that will generate more interest for those counties.  Be
about the same miles for me and I can once again stay at Camp Shelby.

Nevertheless, thanks again for the QSOs and enjoyed the trip to Southern
Mississippi.

73, Jim/KC4HW