[3830] CQMM DX N8II SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQMM DX N8II SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:51:11 +0000
                    CQMM DX Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 11.2

   80:    1      0
   40:   51      7
   20:   97     19
   15:   40     25
   10:   21     15
----------------------
Total:  210     66  Countries = 36  Total Score = 95,778

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It is near the peak of gardening season and I am the sole gardener (planted,
weeded, sprayed, burned brush, and bought more plants while taking wife to
dinner during contest!), so I though why not reward everyone I worked with 10
points vs. 1 to 6, so I decided to try QRP. It worked out well, but there must
be some high noise levels at many QTH's in SA, because a few S9 to S9+ stations
could not hear me. CP6UA must have horrendous noise, because he was hardly
hearing anyone calling him.

Most incredible QSO's were with 9A5Y and I2VXJ ON 15M around 1930Z via scatter
over the south Atlantic, very good ears! Other remarkable QRP Q's included HS3,
JT1 (first call), ZD7, and ZL4. Congrats to Alex HC2AO, for the loudest SA
signal on 40, 20, and 15 and for also hearing me on my first call every time.
Not very many SA big guns took part in the contest, rather odd! Also of note was
a very large number of Cuban stations active, unfortunately all of them worth
only 1 mult.

There were times when it was difficult to find any new stations who could hear
me like 15-17Z Sunday when I just did other things, but then at 1735Z Sunday I
heard  a loud SA station on 10M and it was off to the races being able to run
about half of the stations I worked on 10. It was not long before conditions
started to fade. I think I caught the opening near its beginning, because no NA
stations were calling CQ, but as conditions were fading several NA were CQ'ing.
I also ran a few stations on 20 and 15 while beaming SA almost all of the time.
Running USA stations is just not good strategy with the point and mult structure
of this contest rewarding DX QSO's. I worked all continents, only 1 OC and AF.

Thanks to those who struggled to pull me through, your reward was 10 points.
When I worked a new mult and 10 point station, the score really jumped up. Then
there were the guys who barely listen for a loud signal between closely spaced
CQ's; you don't add any score while CQ'ing (unless SO2R?). And, thanks for the
calls.

73, Jeff