[3830] FlQP K4KG/M Multi-Op MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7zo@hotmail.com, k5kg@k5kg.com, fcg@kkn.net, fqp@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4KG/M Multi-Op MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:03:33 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K4KG/M
Operator(s): K5KG VE7ZO
Station: K4KG

Class: Multi-Op MobileMixed LP
QTH: Florida
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:   537    73
   20:  1793   271
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  2330   344  CW Mults = 77  Ph Mults = 63  Total Score = 1,394,120

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This was the 15th year George and I entered in the M/S low powered mobile
category and as you would expect (or hope), it gets a little easier each time
from the perspective of operating the station and mastering an effective route
through the back woods of the Florida counties.

Geo’s operating position in the back seat of his 2012 Highlander is equipped
with a K3 with antenna positions for 4 Ham Sticks.  The 10 M antenna was not
used this time but with easily switchable antennas on 40SSB and 40CW, our 40M
SSB score was improved over previous efforts.  First QSO on Sunday morning was
with VK2SR on 40 phone.    This was only the 2nd VK we have worked mobile in the
FQP contest, both on phone.  We have converted to N1MM+ for the FQP as there is
a FQP contest specific module for mobiles that makes scoring and moving
multipliers from CW to phone without manual check logging.  N1MM+ also has the
ROVERQTH feature that makes changing counties so simple a couple of cave men can
do it!

Many out of state competitors find getting a sweep on SSB more difficult so we
accommodate by switching routinely to a phone frequency.   Also, to improve our
multiplier count we request CW stations to move to SSB and thanks to the many
stations who were kind enough to dig out a microphone to give us a one time new
state or country.  Some competitors think that this will change the category of
their CW-only log submission but if entered as CW-only, then the SSB QSO becomes
a check log.  WJ9B and WA1Z were two examples of operators who had to search for
a mike to help out the deserving.

Our county activation route maximizes the number of counties during the contest
period but in doing so, we end up spending a looonnng time in some counties and
only brief time in others.  For example, a road closure in OSC county added 30
minutes to our route resulting in only 5 minutes or so in NAS and DUV at the end
of Saturday.  Otherwise, weather was great, roads were generally in good shape
and not too busy.   We made it to 51 of the schedule 52 counties, coming in late
on Sunday we missed SAR, our home base on Siesta Key.

Conditions were relatively good on 20M into NA but generally went long with New
England and the West Coast being workable easily on both days.  Very few W4’s
were worked, especially on Sunday.  VE3’s were booming, thanks again to CCO
for making the effort to have such a good representation.   Conditions to EU
were not good and only thanks to the ongoing efforts of LY5W and I4VEQ were we
aware the band was open at all.  We did not work any stations on 15M or 10M for
the first time ever.

Stations that were in log many times on CW and phone include K0RC, K0HC, W8MJ,
NN3W, K9NW, W7RN, W7SE, I4VEQ, WA3HAE, N8II, VE3KZ, VA3DF, HC2AO and others.
Other notable CW only were LY5W, K9CT, VE3DZ, K9CW.

Even though conditions were not the best, activity levels made this one of the
best FQP’s and our second highest score.  Congratulations to NX4N and the FQP
contest committee for publicizing the contest and to our fellow mobilers for
making this a fun event for out-of-staters.

CU next year,

Jim VE7ZO,

Team  K4KG/m