[3830] WPX CW W9SN M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, qtenna@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W9SN M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 13:18:39 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W9SN
Operator(s): AA4CF K1ZZI W9RNY NN9DD WW4LL K0XV W9SN KU8E
Station: W9SN

Class: M/S LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

------------
  160:
   80:   47
   40:  661
   20: 1117
   15:   87
   10:   10
------------

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

This was our very first 100% remote control, multi-contest.
We assembled an 8 member team from across the country from 4 states.
Two members were here on site, using a wifi connection to the racked Flex rigs
in another room, while 6 members came in remote, over our fiber internet
connection.
Using all Flex Radios, everything was automatic for band changing, switches,
stack matches, 4-squares and rotor controls.  Two members even had iambic remote
paddles.
We all run our networking windows open to see where other ops were, watch their
key strokes, and adjust their operating accordingly.  Ops that were between
shifts, could watch the contest live on their screens while others were
operating.
Members followed a schedule that was put out before the contest to know what
time and rigs they would be using, and who would be operating remotely with
them.
Most everyone got a new experience operating remote, Flex rigs, automatic
controls, and in a contest, with other remote members.  The lockouts worked
perfectly.
The Flex radios with automatic controls were simply amazing.
As successful as this was, it was not without issues.  Not only poor band
conditions early Sunday, at 2130Z Sunday, we lost power and then hooked up a
generator.  This resulted in a server that decided to go nuts afterwards and an
additional 2 hours were lost rebuilding it.  But with 90 minutes to go, we got
it all going with 3 remote ops and finished strong as the bands got better
towards the end.
Since we were not in the same room to talk and strategize, we used other methods
to communicate for band changes and such.
This changed the way we'll contest going forward.  Team members that cannot
travel and take the time for a full weekend, can now get a time slot to operate
from the comfort of their home, and have access to great hardware.
What a learning experience as what to do next, and what not to do.
My hats off to the team for their willingness to learn new things, perform at a
high level as always, and patience while I had to figure all this out.
Thanks to everyone for the Q's!~
Steve W9SN