[3830] ARRL June VHF N5RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N5RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:17:26 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  410   167  Total Score = 73,981

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Always a great event regardless of condx.

First serious VHF effort from new QTH, albeit with temporary antennas &
radio setup.   Trying to determine where I sit, and realize there is a lot of
work to do yet!

6M was almost a no show on Saturday.   Spent some time on FT8, which is a very
frustrating mode in contesting.   Mainly milked the high bands which were is
very poor shape here all weekend.

6M E-skip finally appeared Sunday morning, and was in and out most of the day
until about 2300z.  CW was most productive for me.  Even running full power, I
sure felt weak with only a single 3 el yagi @ 52'.   And kept the rotor busy as
the band was open both west & east for hours.  I had put up a 6M Ringo on a
pushup pole hoping that would hear the directions where the yagi wasn't
pointing, but it was pretty much useless most of the time.   Looking forward to
getting several big yagis up on 6M that I can point diff directions & mix.
FT8 was a pretty useless mode when the band was open good.   Very poor rate
compared to CW/SSB.   Mode breakout on 6M:  CW=193  SSB=104  FT8=58

Pretty inefficient operating setup  -  3 operating positions (6M, 2M/432/1296
and 222/902) as it was thrown together just this past week.   Was gonna try some
MSK144 on 6M & 2M, but the underpowered 6M PC croaked when I tried it, and
didn't get around to it on 2M after I lost the amplifier.

Have a lot to do to get the station going.    Seems that since I retired and
moved, I have very little time.   Still trying to figure out where I fit in a
job all these years.    Love it!

Thanks to all for the QSO's. Always glad work everyone & thanks to 6 band
QSO's from K5TR & K5AND, and 5 bands with N5WS - still not sure why I
couldn't hear him on 902.

Still lots of big UHF/VHF antennas on the ground - look forward to getting them
up eventually with proper feeding.

Equipment:

6M = K3 + KPA1500  to 3el @ 52'   6M Ringo on 10' pole

2M, 70cm, 1296 = TS2000X  2M 13B2 @ 55'   15 el 432 yagi @ 49'   25 el 1296 Loop
Yagi @ 50'   The 2M KW blew smoke Sunday morning - uggh, so resorted to a 160M
brick there.  Had a 100W brick on 432

222 = K3 IF, old trusty Microwave Modules xvtr + 110W brick to 15 el @ 53'

902 = FT 817 IF to DEM xvter  6W to M2 17 el yagi @ 50'

No preamps. Lots of feedline loss.  All yagis on same tower/mast

N1MM logging software  -  3 networked computers

CU in the next one!

73,  Gator