[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 23:11:13 +0000

Club:

Comments:

Rigs: IC-7300 (6m), IC-275H (2m)
Pwr:  100W on 6 and 2m
Ants: 3 elements 6m yagi M2 6M3 @28ft
      9 elements 2m yagi M2 2M9SSB @32ft
      2m ground plane @24ft for FM
Elev: 1900+ ft

I almost tripled my score from last year due to antenna improvements (going from
loops to yagis), station improvements, and the great openings on 6 meters on
both Saturday and Sunday. I had planned on adding an 18 elements yagi for 432,
but changed my mind because it wouldn't be worth the investment if 6 meters
would open up, as it did. Perhaps later.

I always have mixed feelings about 6 meters opening up big during a VHF contest.
The contest basically turns into yet another HF contest with a different
exchange. Don't get me wrong, it's fun when it does, but the magic band can take
out some of the magic that makes a VHF contest what it is to me: working
stations on different bands with increasing challenges when you go higher in
frequency. I did concentrate on operating mostly SSB on 6 meters and resorted to
FT8 if not many new stations were to be worked for a while.

Two firsts for me: meteor scatter on 6m, and FM on 2m. Below is a band-mode
breakout.

Thanks for all the QSO's, the rovers for their hard work activating many grids,
and the ARRL for sponsoring the contest.

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21fk)

Band-Mode breakout:

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q