[3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:46:31 +0000

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  160    51  Total Score = 11,016

Club: New Mexico VHF Society

Comments:

Mults include 8 for grids activated.

50MHz   TS2000X 100W 2EL PAR Stressed Moxon
144MHz  TS2000X 100W 8ft W7QQ Yagi
222MHz  XV222 transverter 20W 8ft W7QQ Yagi
432MHz  TS2000X 50W 8ft W7QQ Yagi
902MHz  DEMI transverter 25W Surplus 4 ft Yagi
1296MHz TS2000X 10W 4ft loop Yagi
2010 Subaru Forester

Despite conditions being flat, I had a good rove. There was no Es on Saturday,
but the crowd in El Paso made up for it with QSOes on all the bands from 50MHz
to 1296MHz, except for 902, for which El Paso is in the forbidden zone. There
was good local NM 144MHz and 432MHz activity though, which helped.

The W5UHF Multi-Multi was a big help to me and others in this contest and I
worked them in most of the grids from most of the bands, except for 902MHz in
the forbidden zone. They were on 24/7 and one of the first stations I heard when
I made a stop.

Sunday morning I started out in DM61 again, this time from the west side of the
Franklin Mountains. I had operated here several times in the past hoping to work
AZ, but had no success. I didn’t think this year would be any better. Boy was
I mistaken. I worked WA7XX on SSB on 144MHz, 432MHZ and CW on 1296 at a distance
of 330m miles. Not bad for 10W on 1296!  so that made the day for both of us.
Later I snagged WA7JTM on the east rim of the Grand Canyon on 2M CW for a
distance of over 400 miles. As far as I could tell, there were no enhanced
conditions with relative humidity of 10% or less over the entire path. Also 6M
opened here to CA with modest Es and I stayed much later than I intended, mostly
as I feared I would never be able to work 50MHz DX for the rest of the contest.

I also had QSOes with WA7XX from DM72 and DM73, but signals were down a bit.
They were a bit longer than 300 miles.

I had small Es openings from a couple of other grids, but never as good as it
was in the morning. I was alone this trip, without a driver, so I missed the
times that 6M may have been open between grid stops. I did stop in DM73 at the
Valley of the Fires campground to hear some double hop from New England, but
could never connect with anyone.

I finished the contest in DM74 and DM75 with nice long haul QSOes with K5LA in
El Paso and for the first time in the contest I could work W5UHF on 902MHz.

There is nothing worse than hearing two stations on 6M, far away, who are local
to each other ragchewing about how great the opening was and how the band was
dead now, and not being able to break them.

Did I mention the forbidden zone in NM on 902?