[3830] ARRL June VHF WA8WZG/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa8wzg@wa8wzg.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF WA8WZG/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 06:00:46 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  317    64  Total Score = 29,440

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I activated 7 grids in Arizona. Temperatures ranged from 111 degrees in the
desert Saturday afternoon, to 43 degrees early Sunday morning in the High
country.
I operated 5 bands, 6,2,222,432 and 1296. I tried Ft8 a couple times but found
issues with op's not running in the contest mode AND issues with sequencing when
signing /R with my 6 digit call. Plus I found some ops not understanding the
/r.. Also as a single op rover I can't use FT8 and drive, I am strictly SSB
then. When 6 does pop open I can't pull of the freeway to take the time to setup
for FT8 and work FT8. I think FT8 has merit and will find its place in VHF
contesting, but there is going to be a learning curve for all, especially for
rovers.
My Best DX on 6 was working my OLD contesting buddy Jeff, K1TEO FN31 and Emil
W3EP also in Fn31.
Some of the highlights of the contest for me was working N7AT (K8IA) op,  on 6
meters from DM45. WE had tried CW for a few minutes with NO hint of a signal at
either end, we then switched to FT8 and completed in the first set of
sequences.
Also While in DM45, Near Windslow, AZ,  I worked Doug WA7XX in DM42 on 1296 just
west of Tuscon and then I worked  Jay N1RWY in DM43 also from DM45 on 1296 and
he is only running about 2 watts to the antenna!!  So FUN and EXCITEMENT on Both
ends of the Q!!
Finally I want to thank ALL of the AOCC OUTLAWS that got on the air, made some
noise,and worked me. Its pretty lonely and boring driving all over the state if
there  NO one to work!!!
SO THANKS AGAIN!!
Cu in September!!
73's