[3830] ARRL FD W4KAZ 1B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kazeringue@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W4KAZ 1B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 15:42:22 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  470     56      0  Total Score = 1,992

Club:

Comments:

Operating solo on battery power(100w, not QRP) from Carolina Beach State Park
campground. FD2018 was a trial run for testing station and antenna ideas before
next month's RSGB IOTA contest, which I will be operating from Cape Lookout
again.

Testing out a dual band (20m/15m) version of N4HA's triangular wire yagi from
June 2018 QST.  I made the driven element from ladder line, and the reflectors
of aluminum electric fence wire(discarded radials from a previous project).  The
idea was to make the antenna as lightweight as possible, and use fiberglass
push-up masts as supports.  It played very well on 20m.  I did less well on 15m
but that seemed more due to conditions and time of day.

40m was a simple inverted V, also supported by fiberglass push-up mast.  10m was
a separate V constructed on site as a lark, also using telescoping mast as
support.

Murphy appeared in his usual manner, manifest in a bad feedline on the 40m
antenna install and some low voltage problems, including a cw keyer interface
that decided to become non-functional just before local noon Sunday.
Checklist:
1) Need new keyer interface
2) Need better power cable from battery to rig.

Physical conditions were a mixed bag.  The site was perfect, but temps and
humidity were high.  Consumed 2.5 gallons of water and 4 quarts of gatorade from
Thursday afternoon through Monday morning.  And an apple fritter the size of hub
cap as a reward to nibble on for the ride home.  (Wakenbake donuts - highly
recommended, big thumbs up!)